Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Last day in my 20's. Getting older and happier :)

In less than 3 hours, I will turn 30. As a Geriatrician, there is a general understanding that around the 30  year old mark is the peak age where things start to go "down hill". Muscle mass will slowly begin to decrease, metabolism slows down, organ function gradually declines, etc.... before you know it, you'll notice that first strand of white hair (I probably already have more than 100). What's that pain in your joints? Is that arthritis? I got out of bed a little too quickly the other day and felt my back snap, followed by some pain and the first thought that went through my head was, "maybe I now have a vertebral compression fracture?!" I think I'm hanging around old people too much.

Although the thought of aging generally carries a scary stigma, it is also an extremely beautiful thing. I look back and think of all that I've been able to experience in the past 30 years, and I feel so incredibly blessed. I remember back in 2nd grade, our class wrote an essay on what our lives will be like when we're 30. I had written that I would be a cop- hunting criminals for a living. I would have 2 kids and 1 dog. I would live in a floating pink house with rainbow slides and tunnels. We even drew a picture of what we would look like in the future. I drew myself with a hideous fro and gigantic earrings. It's funny how we perceived things back then. I do kinda wish I lived in a floating pink house though.

Each year brings new adventures and new blessings. I still can't believe where I am today. Sometimes I have to just take a step back and process things to myself. Holy cow... am I really MARRIED? Crap, am I really a doctor? I finished residency already and I'm handling people's lives?? Am I really ready for this? What's that little person doing in my home.... shoot, is that my BABY? I'm a MOM?

Life is flying by so fast, I wish things could just slow down so I can enjoy each moment more thoroughly. I must say though, each year has brought so much more happiness. I have never been so happy. Each day, we're given a new opportunity to enjoy this beautiful thing called life, and to be filled with more and more abundance- not with material things, but with experiences, joy, love, happiness...


For my birthday this year, Aaron got me a watch. Normally I don't wear watches. I've gone through at least 3 of them because I either lose them, or they run out of battery and I'm too lazy to replace them. This watch brought tears to my eyes. Not only is it beautiful, but Aaron explained that this watch is to signify us going through time together. We have been through a lot these past few years, and we will continue to experience life together for many years ahead of us. I realized that I'm not afraid to age. I look forward to the years to come because God has given me a wonderful husband, family and friends. He has given me a wonderful life to live. We shouldn't be afraid of what's to come.

I wonder what the next decade will bring? :)

Thank you for all the warm birthday wishes on facebook already! I appreciate all of you so much!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your wonderful comments