Saturday, April 13, 2013

6 things I've discovered through blogging


I haven't been blogging for very long, maybe more consistently over the past several months, but this is what I've discovered!

My only exposure to computer coding/programming was an intro class I took in college. I also was briefly introduced to C++ (Is that still even used nowadays??), which I thought was pretty complex. As I browsed through many other blog sites and admired all the intricate designs, I thought it would be nearly impossible to create my own of such caliber unless I paid a professional to do it for me. There was NO way I could re-learn all this coding crap. Well let me tell you, google can teach you a LOT! It really is all just copy and pasting codes, changing a few numbers and links here and there, understanding how host sites work, and the rest is all from your own creativity and imagination! Each week, I learned something new- like designing my own banner one week. The next week I learned about picture hosting sites that then lead me to create my own buttons and such. At the end you feel like you made this new creation by yourself, kind of like painting a picture or baking a cake from your own recipe. As long as you know the basics, you can use that knowledge to create something truly unique and your own. I encourage you to give it a try! Just be patient, because it may seem kind of intimidating at first. Just take it one task at a time. Let me know if I can help in any way. I'm still learning though, so I'm still trying to figure out some of the more complex stuff :) 

I think I've always had a lot of clothes that I never really appreciated. I enjoy variety, but at the end of the day, I always end up coming back to the same old outfit: Jeans and a neutral shirt/sweater. I don't know why I have so many clothes if half of the time I don't wear them. Now I'm starting to sound like my husband. Maybe it's a girl thing! Yes, I firmly believe it's a girl thing. My closet re-discoveries initiative then forced me to re-open my eyes to what I currently have, encouraged me to use those pieces to the fullest potential and be creative with each clothing item. Blogging about it was what made it the most fun, because then I had a whole community to share it with :) Many of my close friends from college chuckle at me, because they knew me from back in the day where all I wore were sweat pants and dark clothing. I use to dress rather gothic.. but I'll save that story for a different day. I wouldn't necessarily call myself now a hard-core fashionista, but I do definitely appreciate the creativity and beauty behind style and clothes much more than before. I know that it's easy to always want to stay on trend and get the latest fashion pieces, but don't forget to appreciate what you have. The average closet investment is probably hundreds to thousands of dollars, don't take it for granted no matter how boring you think it is! It's amazing what you can re-discover without always getting more.


Remember the days when you could play all day with just a piece of paper, some tape, crayons and a spatula? Remember the days when you could make colorful posters, unique science projects, artistic paper mache creations, drawings, write magical stories and be proud of what you came up with? Maybe I just miss being a kid. Maybe I'm seeing Grace grow up so quickly, and I'm terrified that I won't be a very exciting mother because I feel like I lost all my creativity over the years. I use to love art, designing things, drawing, painting, etc. Going through 10+ years of intense medical training doesn't really give you much opportunity to exercise that, unfortunately. But blogging, creating new designs, painting my own online picture, finding art through photography, finding fun through fashion... what a great way to express your creativity through that! I feel like a kid again :) A really big kid.



There was an estimated 200 million active blogs in 2009, I don't know how many there are now but the blogging community has grown exponentially. There's a blog for almost everything nowadays, which doesn't surprise me since technological advances in internet communication and social media have grown so quickly. I think a lot of people tend to express themselves better through writing, and there's always some interested target audience who share similar opinions. The internet truly has been able to connect so many people together. I've met some pretty amazing people through blogging- fabulous mothers, fellow physician bloggers, beautiful fashion bloggers, lifestyle bloggers.. and have gotten to know a lot of you through your online journals. Thank you for all being so wonderful, positive and supportive. I've actually also been able to meet a few families who's children had health problems similar to Grace's, and we've been able to encourage, support and pray for each other through our blog connections. How great is that?


The camera is truly one of the greatest inventions of all time. I grew up hating taking pictures. Why, you ask? I think it was mainly because I was too lazy to carry it around. Plus I thought it was a really cheesy and touristy gesture. I wish I could slap myself back then. There's a huge chunk in my life from college through med-school and residency where I have no pictures at all. NOTHING. All because I was too lazy. I can't even find our wedding pictures that our awesome photographer Albert Yau from Second Print Productions took for us. That's how much photography didn't mean to me back then. One of my biggest regrets. Photography is beautiful. It captures history, art, life, memories. It captures something that my demented brain will probably forget someday. I want to be able to capture everything from now on and remember our lives. One of my favorite photography blogs is by Blue Bird Vintage. She takes breathtaking pictures of her kids every week, and you can literally sense her children's playful personalities through these pictures. They're amazing. 
I must also mention that you don't need a phenomenal $5,000 camera to take great pictures. We use a standard Sony Nex-5 and it has been great without costing us a kidney.


Aaron has actually been a huge contributor to this blog. Guess who actually came up with the name? While I was thinking of hideous blog names like "TheChan-Clanfamilyadventuresdaybook .blogspot.com" or "Christyslittlehumblecornerramblings.blogspot.com", or "The-geriatricianbyday- bloggerbynight.blogspot.com". He didn't make fun of me. How about Sunny with a side of...? Our days are always happy and bright, whatever we blog about will be an added silver lining to our day. 
He is the man behind the camera, taking those artistic shots and crawling on the floor to take the shoe shots without complaint. He also helped with the blog design too. The little dot that's floating away in the corner on my banner? I have no idea what it means, but he came up with that and I LIKE IT! It's been a nice hobby we can do together. He even reads your comments and gets all excited about new comments too. haha :) So please support him when he writes his movie reviews! I know it would mean a lot to him :) Anyways, his talents go way beyond this blog... and I'm proud of him for so many other things too.

Are you considering to start a blog? You should do it! :) If anything, it'll be something nice to browse through when I'm retired, sitting in a nursing home 50 years from now.

What have YOU discovered through your blogging experience? 

DAILY DOSE OF GRACE



56 comments:

  1. sooooo happy that you are blogging more regularly!! isn't the blogging community great? i love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tips are really helpful, thanks for taking the time to put this together! I've learned so much through blogging/taking pictures about the world and technology as a whole, its a miraculous thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blog! I do love the blogging community :)

    xoxo,
    Nat
    Modern Buttercup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Christy!
    Thanks so much for sharing :) :)
    -Carley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a nice post. thanks for sharing :)

    xo Andrea
    www.sophisticatedsass.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaron should totally do a fashion post where you take pictures of him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely post, I would love to do a similar on my blog. I really relate to all your discoveries through blogging (btw husbands sure can surprise us!). I am your follower 107 and I would really appreciate it if you could find the time to check out my blog and perhaps let me know what you think :)

    Kisses
    xoxo

    http://meteobeauty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. your right christina! i have been learning log designing alot! interesting aswell just followed :D If you dont mind, check out my blog www.beautydosage.com and follow back through GFC and blog lovin' :) It would mean alot! keep in touch girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are also what I discovered through blogging. ^_~
    http://www.gossipordie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you 100% on everything - minus number 5 (I'm still working on that! haha), regarding blogging. So far for my first week I've realized it's time consuming, especially when you have writers block. AND I'm totally not a writer! I'm horrible at posing; I'm finding myself doing the same pose over and over. And finally, that I still need to read up on how-to's. Your number 1 is my number 1 as far as learning how to customize my blog. I'm still learning the ropes, but I think for my first week it's not so bad.

    Anyways, great post! And so far what I've seen, you've got a great wardrobe!

    <3,
    ~N
    http://wardrobeonwheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oops, I meant I'm still working on number 6! ><

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such great insights, many of the reasons I love blogging myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The blogging community is the biggest reason I hopped on the bandwagon!

    You are so lucky to have Aaron as a partner in this endeavor as well. Your photos are just lovely, and it's nice to get that boost of encouragement. I'm definitely enjoying reading along and hope you can keep finding time to blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww yay a new post! I love reading your list of things because I felt the same way! Esp with the husband has more talent than you thought. I recently started to have my Hubs take my outfit photos for me (my lil sis has been taking them) and surprisingly I was impressed by his shots. Go figures! haha..

    I can't wait to read more of your blog on a regular basis!

    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! Its amazing to think how much blogs are available today covering a wide variety of subjects great post and I loved reading :) x

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always enjoy reading you blog. And I second Bev's suggestion for Aaron to do a fashion post! :) Also Dave says he uses C++ every day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Grace looks beautiful :)

    I learn a lot from blogs- very grateful that blogging exists!

    http://lifelivinginlondon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your new design! I haven't had a chance to create a pretty template for my blog. I just have enough time to write my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinita! are you back from Florida? We need to hang out again! Blog design actually doesn't take much time! I can show you :)

      Delete
  19. I love this post! I can agree with everything you said, especially about the blogging community. It's pretty fantastic! I love meeting other bloggers and being inspired by them with my own closet.

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely outfit! I do agree with all the points that you've made. I think blogging is an amazing was to share a passion and find new ones!

    http://evamilano.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love this post! i'm even newer to blogging than you are. where did you start with making your template? it looks so nice and i have NO IDEA what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. For me I has to be my new found love for photography and the great blogging community

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really wonderful Christy! Love reading your thoughts. I came to think of it too ... my closet ain't that boring haha. And blogging gives a whole new perspective and makes us learn about photography, etc. Really cool!

    I'm your newest follower. Hope you can visit my blog too and maybe we can follow each other. :)

    ★♡ New Post (^_^) ♡★
    SheInside Giveaway and Product Review
    How SheInside does their giveaways and my thoughts on their products ...

    ❤ ~Chai
    http://chenmeicai.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ChaiChenPage
    Follow Ice Goddhez via Bloglovin'
    Follow on NetworkedBlogs via Facebook
    Follow me via Google+

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are just too cute! Merci for your lovely comment on my Blog! ♥ That is so right - I enjoyed your post really much! ;) Do you like to follow each other?

    Lots of Love, Kyra
    www.kyras.de

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL such a great post! It's so true. I feel like I've learnt all of these too :P Like I can't believe how nice the blogging community is and I'd never in my life think I'd learn HTML Coding..like it was so foreign to me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your blog Christy! I've been reading it for a long time now. Am so happy to see Grace doing so well. I laughed pretty hard watching the harlem shake video and seeing your parents pretend like nothing weird is going on. Hope Stacie and I can see you and Aaron this summer (he mentioned you guys wanted to go outdoors more hiking and what not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW thanks, Phil!! Yes, we definitely should get together this summer. We have a lot of barbecues over the summertime so we'll let you know when we have our first one! Glad you liked the harlem shake video, I'm sure we'll have a lot of other crazy daddy daughter videos in the future :)

      Delete
  27. It's so true! Blogging really does teach us so much! I love the blogging community and I'm glad you're a part of it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Grace is so precious, I love her name too! Blogging has changed so many things for me and opened my eyes to so many too. It's funny because I always had a camera around, but was always shy about it or didn't use much about it until I started blogging. And all the HTML codes? I didn't know a thing about it, but I'm still learning! You get to meet great people in the blogging community, those with similar interests as you, and even those that are halfway around the world. I love blogging, and definitely glad I started it. :)

    - Christine

    ReplyDelete
  29. Haha love this post! I've realized that I've learned some of these things too!
    <3
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Christy, thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I am newbie in this blogger world and I can definitely relate to a lot of what you said! I learned so much about blogging and blog design, I rediscovered my love for creativity, and love the support of the blogging community :) Love your blog so much that I couldn't resist to follow. Would love if you stop by my blog again and follow if you like :)
    xo,Dina
    Beauty to Sparkle
    P.S. Your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Found your blog via the bloghop <3

    I've learned a lot from blogging over the years too. It's a wonderful medium for expressing yourself, and discovering new things and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I completely relate with you on number two (and well all of them but number two especially) I feel like blogging makes me look at my clothes in a whole new light. And it makes me feel a bit braver when trying to mix items I never thought would work together.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree with all of your points! Blogging has grown like crazy in the last 7 or so years. But with that, so much has changed about blogging as well. In order to stand out, you have to be good with photography or have someone that is take your photos. Blogging has become more visual and less journalistic. Who knows where it will be in another 5 years! <3

    toni

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes to it all, except I've always adored photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Christy, I'm glad you stopped by my blog! I like to use my blog as a creative outlet too. Especially with all the great blogs out there for inspiration, it gets me excited to try out new crafts, recipes, and fashion trends. And I agree with what you've said about community. It's nice to know that there are others out there like me trying to balance career/school and life as a parent. Btw, you have a beautiful family and it's awesome that your husband is involved in the blog as well. :)

    Vang

    ReplyDelete
  36. i love all you wrote in this article , so true ,
    am glad i joined the world of blogging my self , my style is way better than before & am more confident & less afraid to share my thoughts & ideas to the whole world to see .

    the list is endless sweetie ,
    i love your daughter , she is an angel ,
    may god bless you all .

    Am following you now with GFC , Wanna follow me back so we keep visiting each other ?

    N@NY
    http://artofnanyslife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a wonderful post! I loved reading your thoughts on blogging. And I totally agree with you on all levels. :)
    www.shannonheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love your blog posts! I can totally relate... growing up, you could never find me without a sketchpad and my drawing pencils. Over the years, I felt like I lost my creativity, and by blogging I've been slowly rediscovering that side of me. Blogging is a great way to chronicle your life and share with others your pain and pleasures... It's amazingly cathartic.

    Your baby girl is beautiful, what a sweet photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great post. Isn't the blogging community fabulous!!! I love all the people that i have met. I totally agree with all the computer stuff. My husband is a computer programmer and he has been a huge help.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. okey since your husband reads the comment i just want to say that, Aaron you are doing an amazing job supporting your wife on this and for that she will love you more than ever. This is something i always say to my husband, without you guys we wont be able to do it so again THANK YOU!
    Delightful Ideas


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Lala!

      Delete
  41. Thanks for sharing with your favorite pick me up color! Mint is beautiful and easy on the eyes :)
    I'm glad you found the tutorial helpful and decided to make it, definitely do feature it on your blog once you finish, I'd love to see it. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I agree with all of your points! One of my greatest surprises was the blogging community. I really had no idea there would be this many people who would support me... and I definitely didn't expect to become friends with any of them. I love that.

    I love seeing pictures of little Grace, she's looking SO cute.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yep, I've learned a ton about HTML and coding. And I really wish I knew more about photography!! Sigh. Definitely something I discovered that was really important to blogging as I've been going along.

    ReplyDelete
  44. beautifully written! and i agree. i never thought so much could be gained from having a blog. You are very pretty! loving all the outfits you put together! Following now :)

    MemoriesOfTimesPast

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi, the whole thing is going nicely here and ofcourse every one
    is sharing information, that's truly fine, keep up writing.

    Also visit my web-site; online Airplane games

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love this , you so right the blogging community is amazing . Great post.

    Meghan Silva's Blog

    ReplyDelete
  47. All of these are so true! Although some days I feel the opposite about #2, I'm always like, but I've worn EVERYTHING on my blog already!

    http://lasaloperie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. wow!! These are all so true especially the first and second one haha!
    I think it so sweet that your husband is so supportive/talented especially since he reads all your comments! I looked through your blog and the photos are so nice. You are very lucky =)

    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. I've discovered just how truly awesome my husband is! Well, I always knew that...! hehehe He's a software engineer, so he helps me with code. He also takes 80% of my photos! Yay for husbands!

    Chandra
    More Modern Modesty

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm with you Christy, so truly true. has been so long. Your daughter so adorable and beautiful Mama. ox

    http://www.attraction2fashion.com

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  51. Don't forget to enter my stella & dot giveaway and join me this thursday April 25 for my link up.

    Agi:)

    vodkainfusedlemonade.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Awww, this post really resonated to me. And the last one made me smile :)

    Xoxo,
    Betina
    The Boyfriend Project

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your wonderful comments